Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Written in my ink

I’ve decided to write a little something for my blog today, something I haven’t done in quite a while, as a matter of fact I last posted something in 2014.
First off, you should know that I’m not artistic with words, but I’ll say what I feel.
And this is how I’ll start…
I haven’t written something on my blog for a while, and for such a long time I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t feel up to it. Not only was it hard to find the time to write a blog post, but I realised that after I came back from London in December 2013, I fell in a rut, missing London every-damn-day. Ever since I placed my feet on the very hot South African soil, it felt to me that nothing I see and do in South Africa will ever compare to that of the UK. Everything was beautiful, everything was different. I was one of those people that took photos of my feet, because I thought that even the ground that I’m walking on was beautiful and filled with history.
Don’t get me wrong, South Africa is absolutely gorgeous, but we don’t have history going back as far Roman-times. 
When I came back from London, I had to job hunt and find my feet, I missed London, but I only now realised that life goes on and I’m happy to be where I am in my life. I just had to collect a little inspiration to start.
Since the last time I wrote a post a lot happened to me, some good, some bad… 
So, let me tell you what I’ve been up to:
I got a job as a journalist at the local newspaper in my hometown, which is pretty cool and quite adventurous. Take it from me, I’ve never read a newspaper, I never listened to the radio or even tried to catch up with any news from South Africa before I started this job, to be honest, I didn’t even know who our president was. God forbid how I got this job in the first place! I’ve been working for the Daller newspaper for two years now, and I can’t even begin to describe the amount of things I’ve learned!
I still do a little freelance graphic design things on the side, whenever I find the time, but as the only journalist at the local newspaper, time is everything.
Somewhere in this time, I was able to find, the boyfriend. After almost two years of dating, we now live together and own three cats. Yeah! My lifelong dream – owning cats! Sorry boyfriend, you’re not far behind on the list.
So, at the end of last year, I decided that I will find the time in the new year to do the things that I used to love to do and that other life things and obligations and work won’t stand in my way this year.
This year I will start to blog again, I will read a couple of books – I set a goal for 12 books, you know, one for each month. I don’t want to be too ambitious – I even promised myself I will find the time to play Sims, as someone who had a lifelong dream of playing Sims for a living, I’ll need to start practicing again. 
Well, I had everything planned out, that 2017 will be a good year. I had tons of hope, but as soon as you know it, the new year disappointed me. I had to start the new year off without my ginger-cat-baby, Freddy, he went outdoors to play and never returned – this happened three days after Christmas and I basically cried everyday since. I recently decided that crying won’t help and that I’ll have to face the facts, that maybe he won’t come back. After deciding this, the boyfriend got me a new tiny-grey-cat-baby, Ash. He’s adorable. 
Also, back to 2017 that sucked since day 1, for some odd reason my medical aid decided that my premium should go up with a R1 000 each month. So, it took me a week and a half to cancel my medical aid I had and find a completely new one. 
I won’t lie if I say that financially this year sucks too.
And I basically, almost, fell back into old habits and focused all my energy on “not caring” and work.
Today however, I’ve decided that my 2017 is going to start February 1st… And that January was a free trial month.
Here’s to the hope I have inside of me, that this year, will be a good year. 

0 comments: