Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot review

I've decided that I will do something I don't usually do, and that is to write a review.In my blog post from yesterday, I mentioned that I decided to read at least 12 book this year, so my first one is done and dusted, just in time, since it is the end of the month and all.

I just finished reading 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King, but something you should know, is that I started with this book June 2013. It took me such a long time to finish this book, it is insane, but I have to admit that I lost interest in this book and left it for a year, not reading at all. But after I restarted and finished, I thought it high time to write a review as well.
But before I start the review, there is something you have to know about me, I have the ability to stick with a book, even if it doesn't catch my interest and even if I think it is a horrible book. I just can't give up on a book. I have to know how each book ends. And I always have the hope that a book will get better the longer I read.
The plot of the book: Thousands of miles away from the small township of 'Salem's Lot, two terrified people, a man and a boy, still share the secrets of those clapboard houses and tree-lined streets. They must return to 'Salem's Lot for a final confrontation with the unspeakable evil that lives on in the town.
Okay, so here is my review on 'Salem's Lot:
First of all.... it took me way too long to finish this book. There's like a million and one characters in this book, which means you can't always remember who is who. Since Stephen King jumped from person to person in different chapters of the book. It was extremely hard to keep up with the happenings of each character, which later resulted in me just ignoring the fact that I don't have a clue who a minor character is when he refers to one. Another thing that sort of irritated the living hell out of me, was that basically everyone was already dead by the time you have reached the middle of the book. I get the whole concept of vampires and that everyone is suppose to die and blah blah blah... but that's exactly the point I decided that I don't even care to remember which character is which since they are all going to die anyway. The basic plot and idea of the book wasn't bad at all, and that's the only part that kept me reading. There's also a ton of things King describe which is not relevant at all and takes up way too much pages of godawful reading. It is basically two pages of how pretty a tree is or the color of the sky.I still think it was kind of a good read, despite some irritating flaws. And the fact that it took me a couple of years to finish, and because of all the characters, I struggled to get a hold of the book and keep reading.
Okay, enough about what bothered me, the general story line of the book was really good. I loved that the book progressed into something that kept me tense as I read. Even though it took such a long time to progress!!
I loved that vampires are still old-fashioned scary vampires and haven't turned into the modern, romantic-brooding-kind. I'll recommend this book, but you have to love to read to enjoy this book.
Overall I gave this book three stars out of five on Goodreads, which I though was being really generous.



0 comments: