Monday, October 3, 2011

strange weather

This past weekend we had the strangest weather here in South-Africa, there was 2 tornado’s in South-Africa yesterday (almost never happens here) and we had loads of rain and hail and the wind was absolutely terrible. On Friday when I drove to Groblersdal for the weekend our weather looked like this:
30092011394
This is how strong the wind was blowing, I had to stop at a garage so that they could wash my window, because all of that grey stuff in the air, was basically dust and sand and my windows turned brown. It looked like fog and in some areas you could only see a few meters in front of you. It was horrible! The wind was so strong it was hard to control the car at some points… This freaked me out a little, what should we expect next? Usually South-Africa have more controlled weather, this kind of weather scares me. I just hope it’s over.

Hundreds of homes were destroyed by these tornado’s and hundreds are injured, luckily as far as I know, only 1 person died, but unfortunately it was a 9year old kid.

If you like you could check out here, here, here, here, and here for more on the tornado’s.

5 comments:

StephSwan said...

the weather is very freaky & strange! they said in the newspaper today that this is record temperatures for the uk with 29 degrees temperatures over the weekend!

we always joke that whatever nature thing happens in the world, SA is always save - nothing ever happens there! if you can take the movies word for it. hiehiehie

Janine van Staden said...

yeah! i know, like in The day after tomorrow and even in 2012, the movies, South Africa is always save from the strange weather, but now, I'm not so sure! ;)

Kristen said...

We have been having strange weather here as well, actually last night it snowed in Pennsylvania! Is our world trying to tell us something...

Janine van Staden said...

thanks for the comment! ;)
i think you might be right, the weather might be trying to tell us something ... :)

mina said...

I loved South Africa so much! It was constantly gorgeous... but I guess the whole world is experiencing a bit of a weather shift. I hope there are no more injuries/deaths.